30 March 2010

When the hour of temptation has come

"All will experience a season in which their temptations will be more urgent, sin’s reasonings more plausible, its pretensions more glorious, hopes of recovery seemingly clearer, opportunities broader and more open, the doors of evil more beautiful than ever they have been before. Blessed is he who is prepared for such a season! There is no escape without this preparation. "

John Owen from "Temptation Resisted and Repulsed", Banner of Truth 2007, pg 15.

Additional Resources
Be Killing Sin or It Will Be Killing You - a recent sermon by J.P. (I know, I know... this one came out after we had decided on Kill or Be Killed. Trust me. The message is very helpful.)

5 comments:

  1. Mitch, I'm curious what the picture is all about?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great question... First Summitviewer to guess the right answer get's a copy of "The Trellis and the Vine." Go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure if this was what you were thinking, Mitch, but when I saw the picture alongside what you wrote, my first thought was of a John Piper teaching I was listening to yesterday. He was talking about our appetite for sin, and how when we sin what we're really saying is, I think this is going to satisfy this appetite more than God will. It really reframed my attitude toward sin. Instead of, I shouldn't do this because God said so (which, at least for me, quickly moves to legalism), it becomes, really, I think THAT's going to satisfy me more than God? So that's my guess. The fruit represents our appetites, and the question is, what are we going to satisfy that appetite with.

    -V

    ReplyDelete
  4. My thought was that the picture represented the temptation of sin (alluding to the forbidden fruit in the Garden of Eden). It can come in all shapes and flavors, but at the core it's still the same--sin.

    ReplyDelete