30 September 2009

Should a Husband give gifts to his adulterous wife?

It amazes me how entitled (toward God) I can be while my heart loves the created things over the Creator. This quote from Carson some it up pretty well.
"I would like to buy about three dollars worth of gospel, please. Not too much- just enough to make me happy, but not so much that I get addicted. I don't want so much gospel that I learn to really hate covetousness and lust. I certainly don't want so much that I start to love my enemies, cherish self-denial, and contemplate missionary service in some alien culture. I want ecstasy, not repentance; I want transcendence, not transformation. I would like to be cherished by some nice, forgiving, broad-minded people, but I myself don't want to love those from different races - especially if they smell. I would like enough gospel to make my family secure and my children well behaved, but not so much that I find my ambitions redirected or my giving too greatly enlarged. I would like about three dollars worth of gospel, please." Don Carson "Basics for Believers" pg 12-13.
In more sober meditations, I understand God's heart expressed to Israel in Ezekiel:
“Therefore say to the house of Israel, Thus says the Lord GOD: Will you defile yourselves after the manner of your fathers and go whoring after their detestable things? When you present your gifts and offer up your children in fire, you defile yourselves with all your idols to this day. And shall I be inquired of by you, O house of Israel? As I live, declares the Lord GOD, I will not be inquired of by you. (Ezekiel 20.30-31)
and it breaks mine.

Shouldn't the gospel cause me to react as Mephibosheth (King Saul's grandson) to the King's kindness?
For all my father’s house were but men doomed to death before my lord the king, but you set your servant among those who eat at your table. What further right have I, then, to cry to the king?” And the king said to him, “Why speak any more of your affairs? I have decided: you and Ziba shall divide the land.” And Mephibosheth said to the king, “Oh, let him take it all, since my lord the king has come safely home.” (2 Samuel 19.28-30)
Do what you will, Jesus - but let me be with you.

Additional Resources
Tim Keller - The Grand Demythologizer

1 comment: