13 March 2009

God Isn't Like Whitney's Daddy...

A couple of mornings each week, Whitney and I will go for a run.  When we head out in the double-wide jogger stroller, she's all bundled up and ready to commune with her daddy who is tired and limited.  
Recently I've been impressed by how unlike God I am with Whitney on those runs. I was again this morning.

Daddy gets winded and can't answer all of Whit's questions. God never tires.
Whitney is two and a half and, therefore, filled with questions.  On days when the workout is hard, I'm not much of a conversationalist. When she asks a question on those days, all she gets is a breathy "Daddy can't talk right now sweetie" to which she replies "oh."
God is not like that.  He is never limited by his other activities to hear my prayer or give me strength.
Have you not known? Have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He does not faint or grow weary; his understanding is unsearchable. (Isaiah 40.28)
Daddy can't always hear Whitney. God's hearing is perfect.
In the midst of the wind and heavy breathing, I don't always hear Whit's little voice.  Much of our dialogue includes "what honey?"   God is not like that.  When I pray, He hears.
And this is the confidence that we have toward him, that if we ask anything according to his will he hears us. (1 John 5.14)

When the righteous cry for help, the LORD hears and delivers them out of all their troubles. (Psalms 34.17)

For the LORD hears the needy and does not despise his own people who are prisoners. (Psalms 69.33)
Daddy can be impatient under pressure. God experiences no "pressure" (Psalm 115:3) and has perfect patience.
If the heart rate is over 170, I struggle with patience.  I'm interested in getting done and not in addressing Whit's question about the fox poop on the trail.
In sacrifice and offering you have not delighted, but you have given me an open ear. (Psalms 40.6)
As for me, I am poor and needy, but the Lord takes thought for me. You are my help and my deliverer; do not delay, O my God! (Psalms 40.17)
Since then we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need. (Hebrews 4.14-16)
Daddy is limited in the focused time he can give to Whitney. God is unlimited and never distracted.  
At the end of our run, I have to speed off to another activity or address another child. I'm limited in the amount of things I can address simultaneously. God is not. His sufficiency ensures that His children have His attention.
He will tend his flock like a shepherd; he will gather the lambs in his arms; he will carry them in his bosom, and gently lead those that are with young. (Isaiah 40.11)
Be grateful today.  Your Father is not like Whitney's daddy.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:44 AM

    Wow. KWL! Yeah, I like that. Even the most sensitive parent can't compare to how perfect of a Father we have :) Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete