20 February 2009

"Thirst was no more.": The Salvation of Sundar Singh


"Christ is my savior.  He is my life.  He is everything to me in heaven and earth.  Once while traveling in a sandy region I was tired and thirsty.  Standing on the top of a mound I looked for water.  The sight of a lake at a distance brought joy to me, for now I hoped to quench my thirst.  I walked toward it for a long time, but I could not reach it.  Afterwards I found out it was a mirage, only a mere appearance of water caused by the refracted rays of the sun.  In reality there was none.  In a like manner I was moving about the world in search of the water of life.  The things of this world - wealth, position, honor and luxury - looked like a lake by drinking of whose waters I hoped to quench my spiritual thirst.  But I could never find a drop of water to quench the thirst of my heart.  I was dying of thirst.  When my spiritual eyes were opened I saw the rivers of living water flowing from his pierced side.  I drank of it and was satisfied.  Thirst was no more."
-Sadhu Sundar Singh (1889-1929)

1 comment: