04 December 2008

The Gospel for Us Whores

Nothing novel here, just mandatory to preach to yourself everyday.
And I will betroth you to me forever. I will betroth you to me in righteousness and in justice, in steadfast love and in mercy. I will betroth you to me in faithfulness. And you shall know the LORD. (Hosea 2:19-20 ESV)
Only the Gospel allows this covenant in righteousness, justice, steadfast love, mercy and faithfulness to exist between God and harlots.
  • Righteousness - Christ's righteousness given fully to believers. (Romans 5:17, 1 Cor. 1:30 and 2 Cor. 5:21)
  • Justice - The full penalty for sin was paid on the Cross as Christ (fully God and fully man) receives the punishment that God's people deserved and He did not (Romans 5:18, Galatians 3:13). Injustice was transfered to His shoulders that justice might prevail. (1 Peter 3:18)
  • Steadfast Love - God did not give up on his chosen and was faithful to his promises. (Romans 5:8)
  • Mercy - God had mercy on sinners (Luke 18:13, Titus 3:5, Hebrews 4:16 and 1 Peter 2:10), incapable of anything but sin. (John 8:34)
  • Faithfulness - God's betrothal is forever. His faithfulness will prevail (2 Tim. 2:13, Hebrews 13:5) as redemption includes regeneration (Ezekiel 36:26, Romans 8:16 and 2 Cor. 5:17) that prevails against over our own sin as we are transformed into truly loving (1 John 4:15-17 and Matthew 22:37-40) people.
Those in Christ should confidently say TODAY:
"I have the righteousness of Christ."
"Infinite, perfect and final justice is finished for my sins and the sins against me."
"God loves me."
"God has had mercy on me, a sinner, an offender-of-God - a rebel."
"I am God's forever."

The Gospel:  Ancient, often misunderstood, rarely embraced and absolutely glorious - preach it to yourself today.

0 comments:

Post a Comment