08 November 2008

Phenomenon

Week 10 from "The Roots of Our Faith" series on the Book of Acts 11/2/08 Phenomenon

"But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble."
(Matthew 6:33-34 ESV)

The 2008 Election was energized by a fundamental anxiety; "Who will secure our future?"   I experienced it and, on October 31st, it convicted me.  When you check Drudge 6 times a day, you betray a disbelief or, worse, an idolatry.  

Fortunately, I had to teach on Acts 5:12-16 that Sunday.  It forced me to ask questions about my anxiety.  Why weren't these believers anxious?  What was the source of my anxiety?  What will I do if everything goes contrary to my prayers?   Are my prayers even the right prayers?  Can our church still be an influence for Christ even if he is elected?  

Eventually I was reminded that worry is a faithless position, it's source is a low view of God and it won't add a single hour to my life or anyone else's.  I needed to repent of my lack of trust and appreciation for God's sovereignty.  Then, I had to learn how to engage with the present moment.  My children still need a dad.  My wife needs a husband.  The church still needs a pastor.  People are still lost, hurting and in desperate need of a savior.

My heart was bolstered by the example of the Jerusalem church.  In the midst of difficult circumstances their prayer was bold, their speech was bold and they were willing to be a little scary.  If I can do that today, I will find an intimate connection with Christ and peace that surpasses understanding.

On this issue of future anxiety, Screwtape has much to say.  It might not hurt to listen.   

"...nearly all vices are rooted in the future." - the demon Screwtape from C.S. Lewis' The Screwtape Letters.

0 comments:

Post a Comment